Students who have never studied Russian before nor lived in a Russian-speaking country/home, should sign up for Russian 101.

If you have previously studied Russian anywhere (elementary, middle or high school or another college/university) or if you learned Russian by living in a Russian-speaking country or home and do not have transfer credit, you must take the UIC placement test.

Transfer students with Russian credit from another college/university should consult their advisor.

Note: Students may only take the placement test once per year.

UIC Placement Test

What do I do if the class I placed into is too easy/hard?

Students must register for the course into which they are placed.

If you have concerns about your placement, you should speak with your instructor and contact the Coordinator of the Russian Basic Language Program.

Only the Coordinator can authorize changes. All changes must be completed by the end of add/drop.